初中学习网-人民教育出版社人教版部编同步解析与测评答案-电子课本资料下载-知识点总结学习方法与技巧补课解题技巧学习计划表-人教网-初中试卷网-中学学科网

首页 > 初中语文 > 综合辅导 >

双语:接线员的小硬币


    When I was 19
    十九岁的时候
    I legally immigrated to the USA.
    我非法移民到了美国
    I left my country on Mother's day 1963.
    1963年的母亲节,我离开了故土
    Circumstances were such that
    我的处境如此糟糕
    I for a short time
    有一小段时间里
    became homeless
    我无家可归
    but then found a job
    后来我找到一份工作
    in East Los Angeles.
    在旧金山东部
    I was able to live in one of their staff houses,
    我在他们提供的一间宿舍住下
    went 3 hours to school each night.
    每天晚上花三个小时的时间走去学校
    I had very little money
    我几乎没什么钱
    but felt abundant .
    却感到十分富足
    Mother's Day 1964 arrived
    1964年的母亲节到来了
    and I needed to call my Mom in Germany.
    我想给远在德国的母亲打个电话
    I had a little paper sack of quarters
    我只有几个硬币,用纸包成一个小包
    for $12.
    总共能凑齐12美元
    It was a LOT of money for me.
    这对我来说已经是很大一笔钱了
    I walked up 2 streets
    我走过了两个街区
    to a phone booth.
    才找到一个电话亭
    It was a pretty hot day.
    那时一个十分炎热的日子
    Anyway
    无论如何
    I dialed the operator:
    我接通了接线员
    'How may I help you?'
    您需要什么服务?
    I said
    我说
    I like to call my Mom in Germany.
    我想给在德国的母亲打个电话
    She said
    她说:
    '$ 12 for the first 3 minutes.'
    最初三分钟12美元
    I fed the phone all the quarters I had.
    我把手中所有的硬币都倒进了电话机里
    A.s.a. that happened
    刚把硬币扔完
    I heard the phone ring.
    我听到了电话提示音
    It was my Mom who picked up.
    是母亲拿起了电话
    She was extremely excited
    她兴奋极了
    to hear my voice for the first time in a year.
    一年以来,还是第一次听到了我的声音
    We talked fast and excitedly.
    我们快速说着话,都很兴奋
    After a while she said:
    过了一会儿她问
    'Child this must be very expensive?'
    孩子,这很贵吧?
    I had forgotten time and space.
    我已经忘记了世间和空间
    We talked on and on.
    我们继续交谈下去
    The call ended
    通话结束
    and all my quarters tumbled out again.
    我的硬币却都弹了出来
    I was stunned.
    我感到惊讶极了
    We had talked for 45 minutes
    我们谈了45分钟
    and this kind operator gave us such amazing present.
    这个善良的接线员给了我一份这样好的礼物
    Thank you.
    谢谢你
    It was only 1 of the many kindnesses I have experienced
    我曾体会过许多种善良,这只是其中一种
    in this wonderful country.
    在这个神奇的国度
    I never asked for anything.
    我从不曾奢望什么
    But because I worked and studied hard,
    但因为我一直勤劳的工作和学习
    people seeing it supported my effords.
    看到我的努力的人们都来支持我
     (责任编辑:admin)